Monday, November 14, 2011

A Different Take at Positive Thinking

I was reading the book "A Gospel Primer" tonight, and I thought I'd share what I read. It sure does give a different outlook on things, doesn't it?


The more absorbed I am in the gospel, the more grateful I become in the midst of my circumstances, whatever they may be.
Viewing life's blessing as water in a drinking cup, I know that I could discontentedly focus on the half of the cup that seems empty, or I could gratefully focus on the half that is full. Certainly, the latter approach is the better of the two, yet the gospel cultivates within me a richer gratitude than this.
The gospel reminds me first that what I actually deserve from God is a full cup churning with the torments of His wrath (Revelation 14:10, Psalm 75:8). This is the cup that would be mine to drink if I were given what I deserve each day. With this understanding in mind, I see that to be handed a completely empty cup from God would be cause enough for infinite gratitude. If there were merely the tiniest drop of blessing contained in that otherwise empty cup, I should be blown away by the unbelievable kindness of God toward me. That God, in fact has given me a cup (Psalm 116, Psalm 23:5) that is full of "every spiritual blessing in Christ" (Ephesians 1:3) and this is without the slightest admixture of wrath, leaves me truly dumbfounded with inexpressible joy. As for my specific earthly circumstances of plenty of want, I can see them always as infinite improvements on the hell I deserve.
When I look at any circumstance that God apportions me, I am first grateful for the wrath I am not receiving in that moment (the empty part of the cup never looked so good!). Second, I am grateful for the blessings that are given to me instead of His wrath. (Life's blessings, however small, always appear exceedingly precious when viewed against the backdrop of the wrath I deserve.) This two-layered gratitude disposes my heart ot give thanks in all things (1 Thess. 5:18) and it also lens a certain gratitude glorifies God, contributes to peace of mind (Philippians 4:6-7) and keeps my foot from the path of foolishness and ruin. (Romans 1:21-29)

No comments:

Post a Comment